Monday, September 5, 2011

Fruit and veg field day





On my return from Yotvata I had the good fortune to be hosted by Zeraim Gedera (seed company I visited earlier) the following day, to attend a small field day. I have observed that many chemical companies are buying up small seed companies over here. Monsanto had a stand for their line of fruit and veg which was the first time I had seen the Monsanto brand in the fruit and veg market.
There were a lot of different tomato varieties to be seen on the day, it was nice to see cherry tomatoes in bowls on almost every stand as free nibbles. I have to say the best tomatoes I have ever tasted have all been in Israel. The diversity of varieties and flavours was outstanding. Zvi Howard Wener (Chief Agronomist for Zeraim Gedera) gave me a bell pepper that they have been working on but have yet to release. It was the most amazing tasting thing I have ever eaten......as far as bell peppers go anyway. It was so sweet and juicy I ate the thing like an apple, Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment