Friday, August 5, 2011

Tel Aviv



I flew into Tel Aviv, Israel, late at night and with a Syrian visa in my passport I had a 3 hour wait while security checked me out. This was the last leg of my Nuffield study travel.
A walk through some of the nearby markets here found me trying out pomegranate juice (good salt tolerance) which was delicious. The fresh produce was very good with one store having 5 different types of tomatoes that I found interesting. Tel Aviv reminded me of the Gold Coast in Australia with the city hard up against the beach.
I caught a bus down to Beersheba and went out to the Gilat Agriculture Centre to meet up with Alon Bengali. Alon, like so many researchers on salinity, use lysimeters to measure how much water a plant uses under various degrees of salinity. They are basically giant pots and in this case they had olives growing out of them. Unforunately, Alon was very busy and after the usual chat about saline water it was time to go.
At the end of the day I dropped in to see a memorial park for the Australian Light Horse. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment