Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Super Legumes

Sespania sespan only 15months old
I was surprised to see asparagus growing quite happily out on these sandy soils. I've always associated asparagus with cool weather and premium soils. There are a lot of different species of asparagus and some of those can handle hot and salty conditions.
Cow peas (also known as black eyed peas) looked very good to me. Well adapted to sandy soils with good drought tolerance and the ability to fix nitrogen really got my interest.
The amazing Sespania sespan was the most amazing legume I have ever seen. Its height dwarfed me and then some, which isn't a big deal until I was told it was only 15months old. The thing looked like it had been growing there for years.It will handle some salinity and can be grazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment