Monday, February 21, 2011

Gold, gold, gold and gold

A walk through the Souks of Dubai is a lot of fun if you are prepared to stop and talk to everyone who asks you to buy what they are selling. As a bald white guy I stand out like the proverbial.....so I have received my fair share of attention. I have learnt that for most of the traders here it's a game of sorts, a true form of negotiation and trade. I'm not good at it and they may have a laugh at my expense after I leave but good humour goes a long way here. A lot of the time they want to know who you are and where you come from as frankly as that, in return I have asked how business has been and how is trade tonight, with all that done you are free to go. I have been told by one local Arab it is tradition in a meeting to ask “how is every one there” meaning your family and homeland. It's a reflection on their culture and attitude in negotiations and the importance of relationships within that.

No comments:

Post a Comment