Friday, February 18, 2011

Another adventure begins, this time the Middle East

I'm always amazed by overseas travel, not that I like to be stuck on a plane in cattle class for more than ten hours mind you. My flight from Brisbane to Dubai via Singapore was well over my ten hour limit but it really is amazing to step off the plane into a new country. The sights, sounds and sometimes smells can be so different you realise all the reading or preconceived ideas you may have had are swept away in no time at all.
It was with some trepidation, I have to admit, that I took this trip to the Middle East. I was unsure of the reception a western man might receive in the Middle East, although it is early days, looking back I'm not sure why I had these fears. The people of Dubai have been very welcoming.
Dubai is a modern city full of beautifully designed buildings. The pace at which Dubai has developed in the last decade is amazing. Up until 2009 25% of the worlds supply of cranes resided in Dubai, although the locals tell me things have slowed down with the down turn in the economy. However, most buildings I have seen still sport a crane or two. Detailed designs both on the building that fill the city and the gold, silver and silk that fill the stores are all over. Narrow streets and ally ways lead to spices and perfumes, jewellery and gems. The home of the Souk - the traditional market place.

No comments:

Post a Comment