Monday, January 10, 2011

March 2010 The Nuffield journey begins

The 2010 Nuffield tour group

The trip started out at Washington, DC, where we met all the 2010 scholars from around the world.
It was great to meet farmers from other countries and spend time with them learning about their industries.
Nuffield had a great line up of things to see and do as we travelled to Gettysburg and Pennsylvania. Seeing advanced farming systems and the people who run them was informative and insightful. Mason Dixon farms was a great example of innovation driving a family farm forward.
Our trip to Gettysburg battle field was really enjoyable. Our guide, retired military Colonel Tom Vossler, did a great job of setting the scene on the battle field for us. His knowledge and passion for military history stood out and helped us all to gain an appreciation of the importance of this site to all Americans.
Hand Harvesting Lettuce near El Centro
Studying some of the important characters on that historic day was also an insight into what makes a good leader, I found it to be a rewarding and interesting day.
The last day of the conference was some what daunting. We were given the task of presenting some answers to the problems agriculture faces now and in to the future.  With only a few hours to put together a report on supply and the production chain, it was a baptism under fire!!  I found working with the group I was in very rewarding and I got a lot more out of the experience than I first thought.
After the conference we all went our separate ways.  I made my way to Riverside, California, after a quick trip to Niagara Falls (so much freshwater it would make an Aussie farmer cry).  I met up with Donald Suarez, the director of the U.S.Salinity Lab, and he was kind enough to show me around and talk to me about the salinity work they are doing there.
The International Drought Symposium coincided with my visit and I took the opportunity to attend the three day event. Some of my contacts for this leg of my trip were in attendance so it gave me the chance to speak with them face to face.  I got to hear about the problems of drought not only in America but Spain, Mexico, South Africa and, of course,  Australia.  It was with some surprise that agriculture didn't rate too highly on the policies of drought in any Australian presentation; it was quite the reverse for all other countries, particularly Spain.
There is no doubt that the environment and returning water to the river Murray are high on the agenda for the current Australian Government. I did feel Australian agriculture was poorly represented and the decoupling of land in the water market was held up as being a shining example of free trade, widely welcomed by all irrigators.
After the Symposium, I have made my way down to San Diego then across to the Imperial Valley where I will meet up with two contacts I have in the area. I plan to have some farm visits with them looking at salinity issues in the district.
I have already visited a lettuce farm just out of El Centro. Security was tight and I was not permitted to take close up photos of the harvester working in the field. The company responsible for harvest closely guard their designs. I was also given a hair net that had to be worn once I was in the field. The lettuce was cut by hand,  top and tailed then loaded into bulk bins on tandem trailer. The whole thing reminded me of process tomato harvesting to some degree.                

No comments:

Post a Comment